Join our Bologna Food Experience to learn about our regional food and wine recipes and meet boutique producers of the Italian finest foods: the best way to dive into the Italian culture.
Emilia Romagna culinary traditions are beloved at tables all around the world, especially Parmesan cheese, Balsamic vinegar of Modena, and Prosciutto from Parma. Go behind the scenes and discover the real Italian flavours!
This once-in-a-life-time experience will take you to the Italian Food Valley, where the most famous and delicious Italian foods are made. You’ll be picked up at your hotel or Bologna train statin by our guide and driver for this exciting and unique small-group tour.
First you will visit a Parmigiano‐Reggiano PDO producer. The secret of its unique taste resides in the place of origin, in the natural feed, and in the high-quality milk with no additives. During the long aging process, natural fermenting agents in the milk give the cheese its particular flavor and texture, in other words, its typicality. The verb “to make” is absolutely correct in this case because Parmigiano‐Reggiano is not just manufactured, but it is “made” today as it was made eight centuries ago, using the same typical and genuine ingredients: the precious milk from the area of origin, fire, rennet, the expertise of old methods and the skill and the secular knowledge that cheese masters have handed down, generation after generation. Then, it is aged naturally for two years or more; however, this implies a great deal of effort because cheese wheels must be brushed and turned continually, they must be taken care of, supervised and inspected day after day to assure their compliance with the rigorous maturation standards. The visit to the dairy production will be followed by a tasting.
Then you will visit a Prosciutto PDO producer. One of the earliest references to ham production in our region appeared in about 100 BC in the writings of Cato, who described the practice of burying pork legs in barrels filled with salt. The meat was then dried and smoked. As the process of making air‐cured Prosciutto was refined, the smoking step was discontinued. During classical times, hams from this region were one of the delicacies featured on banquet tables. The visit to the producer will conclude with a delicious Prosciutto tasting!
Have you ever heard about Italy’s black gold? We are talking about the traditional balsamic vinegar which is only produced in the areas of Modena and Reggio-Emilia. The families of the area have always been very proud of their production of Balsamic Vinegar, and have a set of barrels in the attic as a seal of ancient family traditions, if not a confirmation of noble family roots. Born centuries ago as a medicinal of exclusive use of kings and emperors, it has found its place in the kitchen as a product of excellence, it heightens the flavors and enriches every dish on the Emilian table, from the most simple ones, such as salads and raw vegetables, to the most refined dishes, such as filled pastas or meats. Welcomed in a private property, we will taste this special traditional balsamic vinegar and learn family recipes and secrets!
Enjoy a wine tasting in the most famous cellar of the territory. You will tour the winery and be explained how grapes are picked, crushed, blended and bottled. You’ll walk through beautiful vineyards with the winery sommelier and then taste the finished product.
Our day will conclude with a delicious 6-course gourmet lunch accompanied by a selection of local wines served in a family-run restaurant on the hills.
After lunch, you will be transferred back to your accommodation in Bologna.
The tour includes:
- transportation by private air-conditioned minivan with professional driver
- pick-up from Bologna hotels and Bologna train station. Pick-up from other cities or Bologna airport available on request
- Amazing Italy top-rated guide service
- private visit to a Parmesan cheese producer with breakfast and Parmesan cheese tasting
- private visit to a traditional Balsamic vinegar producer with tasting
- private visit to a Prosciutto producer with tasting
- private visit to a winery estate with tasting
- traditional 6-course Italian lunch at a family run restaurant with wine included
- complimentary bottled water available on the minibus
- Amazing Italy gift
- A lot of fun and wonderful memories!
Prices per person:
2 pax: Eur 437,00
3 pax: Eur 342,00
4 pax: Eur 307,00
5-6 pax: Eur 272,00
7-8 pax: Eur 237,00
9-10 pax: Eur 207,00
Groups quotations on request.
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- You will be required to let us know your accommodation details at the time of booking. If you haven’t booked your hotel yet, you can provide us with this information later.
- Optimize your time: are you leaving Bologna by train after the tour or do you need to get off at Bologna airport to catch a flight? Come on the tour and bring your luggage with you!
- It is recommended to book any rail travel from Bologna after 6:15pm to allow time for any traffic delays on your return journey.
- This tour can be arranged with departure from Florence, Milan and Verona.
- Vegetarians and gluten free can be catered for. Please let us know of any food allergies or dietary restrictions with your reservation.
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence w/5 Star rating
- 16 Years of activity
- 65K + Happy Customers
- 13K + Delivered Tours
- 500+ Events organized
- Destination experts for Emilia Romagna and Bologna
- Rewarded by Travel Experts: Fodors, Viator, Lonely Planet, Booking.com, Expedia, GetYourGuide, TripAdvisor
- Proudly affiliated with: ETOA, Confindustria Emilia Romagna, Fiavet, Emilia Romagna – Land with a Soul, Bologna Welcome, Città Metropolitana di Bologna